POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm back : Re: I'm back Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm back
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 16 Oct 2007 16:21:09
Message: <47151d35$1@news.povray.org>
>> In this instance, the problem seems to be that I stepped on somebody's
>> favourit branch of mathematics. (I made statements that could be construed
>> as implying that category theory is incomprehensible and/or pointless.
>> What I was *actually* trying to say is that you don't need to be an expert
>> in category theory to use Haskell...) I also posted an evaluation tree
>> that contained a minor technical error (I mixed up a left-fold and a
>> right-fold). So I got flamed to hell.
>
>      Ok, a mistake was made - no biggy. It happens. You *are* human, aren't
> you Andrew?  ;)

Indeed. And in fact, the discussion was not even *about* folds, so the
error was entirely incidental and didn't in any way alter the point I
was actually making, but still...

>> Interestingly, after I left somebody else piped up with "you're picking on
>> HIM?? That's insane! He's one of the few non-PhDs who's actually
>> interested in the language and you have a go at him. And people wonder why
>> nobody uses Haskell..."
>
>      Well, there you go. That was nice of him/her.

Yeah. And unprovoked... (He said that me and some other guy where the
people who's opinions he most respected. Interesting...)

>    Resubscribe with a new moniker of 'PurpleHaaaaaaze' and give 'em some
> crap (code-wise) just for fun. Go frit. <eg>

lolz!

>    Don't take what's happened to you seriously. Those guys are bored out of
> their minds and you were the next best thing to having some excitement in
> their lives - really. They're probably embarrased that you know what you do,
> and were just looking to put you down because you're better than them. (At
> least, tell yourself that 10 times a day!)  :)

Who are you trying to kid? I'm the only guy on the list without a PhD in
some highly advanced disciplin. :-P

I guess it's just that I sit here all alone all day with nobody to talk
to, and even on *this* forum I can't discuss Haskell (because nobody
knows WTF I'm talking about nor actually gives a damn anyway). There's a
lot of very intelligent people on the Haskell mailing list, but clearly
people like me aren't welcome. And that really quite upsets me...